Ref blows full-time early as Mali edge Tunisia


The AFCON descended into farce on Wednesday as the referee twice blew for full-time before 90 minutes had been played, with Tunisia refusing to return to the pitch 40 minutes later in protest despite having lost 1-0 to Mali.

Mali striker Ibrahima Kone scored a second-half penalty to seal a 1-0 victory over Tunisia, who missed a spot kick of their own in a Group F game that ended in controversy.

Africa Cup of Nations bracket and fixtures schedule
– Africa Cup of Nations: Everything you need to know
AFCON kit rankings: Who has the best jersey?
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

It was a tale of two penalties as Kone converted his attempt after a handball, but Tunisia’s Wahbi Khazri could not follow suit as his effort was saved by Mali goalkeeper Ibrahim Mounkoro 13 minutes from time.

Zambia referee Janny Sikazwe initially blew for the end of the game with 85 minutes on the clock, his time keeping obviously poor. But after correcting himself he still ended the match in the 90th minute, despite a number of stoppages in the second half, including two VAR checks.

The result follows the trend of 1-0 wins at the finals, with this the seventh in the 10 games played to date. The second match in Group F will be played later on Wednesday between Mauritania and Gambia.

After a dull first half, Mali made a bright start to the second and after just a minute were awarded a penalty when Boubacar Kiki Kouyate‘s shot struck the hand of Ellyes Skhiri as the Tunisia midfielder turned his back on the ball.

Kone stepped up to easily convert the penalty and give the his side the lead.

Dylan Bronn forced a first save out of Mali goalkeeper Mounkoro with a 35-yard drive that was pushed away for a corner, but Tunisia had an even better chance to equalise.

It was Moussa Djenepo who handled the ball this time and after consulting VAR, Sikazwe awarded the spot kick.

But Khazri’s fierce shot was beaten away by Mounkoro as the keeper made an excellent stop.

Mali finished the game with 10 players after a harsh red card for El Bilal Toure when he challenged for the ball with Dylan Bronn and was fractionally late.

Sikazwe, who officiated at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, had already blown once for full time by then, his timekeeping out by at least five minutes.

And when he ended the game again before the clock ticked round to 90 minutes, the Tunisian bench erupted in fury and raced onto the pitch to confront him as scuffles broke out.

Articles You May Like

Juve given partial stadium ban over Lukaku abuse
Sources: Luis Enrique in London for Chelsea talks
Arrest made after Ajax’s Klassen hit by object
Man United to play Dortmund in Las Vegas
Xavi: Loss to Madrid won’t ‘tarnish’ LaLiga title

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *