The 2022 January transfer window has reached its final day (find out when it closes here), and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: PSG close on deal for Barcelona’s Dembele
Ousmane Dembele has been part of one of the biggest transfer sagas of this January window, but it could be soon concluded as the Barcelona winger could be joining Paris Saint-Germain for around €20 million.
The 24-year-old winger had been linked to Tottenham Hotspur, Man United and a number of other Premier League clubs, but it appears as though PSG will win the battle for his signature. Dembele is out of contract in the summer and his representatives have been desperately seeking a solution for him that would enable him to leave in this window, while Barcelona want him to depart in order to free up wages to sign a new striker — namely, Alvaro Morata or Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
08.06 GMT: Christian Eriksen has signed a contract with Brentford, the club have announced, making a remarkable return to football just seven months after suffering a cardiac arrest while competing for Denmark at Euro 2020.
The midfielder had been out of contract since he left Inter Milan due to not being permitted to compete in Serie A after being fitted with an cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) device; a type of pacemaker which can prevent fatal cardiac arrests.
Eriksen has not played since he suffered the on-field cardiac arrest during his country’s opening game of Euro 2020 in June against Finland, where he received life-saving treatment on the pitch.
08.00 GMT: Barcelona are locked in talks with Arsenal over a loan deal for striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, sources have told ESPN.
The 32-year-old striker is keen on joining the Camp Nou, with the two clubs discussing how much of his £250k-per-week wages the Spanish giants can pay. The deal would not include an option for a permanent move.
Sources have told ESPN that Barcelona have informed Arsenal sporting director Edu that they want Aubameyang but can only pay a small portion of the player’s salary and are awaiting a response from the north London club.
Julien Laurens and Gab Marcotti discuss Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s reported loan move to Barcelona from Arsenal.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)
– West Ham United are in advanced talks to sign defender Duje Caleta-Car from Marseille, reports Goal’s Marc Mechenoua. The Hammers tried to sign the 25-year-old in 2020, but they’re expecting to be able to get the move over the line before the end of the transfer window. It is reported that they are prepared to part ways with a fee of €22m plus bonuses to get the deal done.
– Diego Costa has been offered to Barcelona as the LaLiga side continue to look for a striker before the window closes. After he was released by Brazilian side Atletico Mineiro, Sport writes that the Blaugrana may take a chance on the 33-year-old forward, with the club finding difficulty reaching a deal for Alvaro Morata. Costa has also been linked to the LA Galaxy, per ESPN sources.
– Barcelona goalkeeper Inaki Pena is set to complete a move to Galatasaray, according to Fabrizio Romano. The 22-year-old will join on a loan deal from Camp Nou until the end of the season, and he is hopeful of garnering first team experience in the Turkish Super Lig before returning to the Blaugrana.
– While Manchester United and Bordeaux seemingly reached an agreement over a loan deal for Phil Jones, Fabrizio Romano reveals that the 29-year-old centre-back has turned down making the switch from Old Trafford. The Ligue 1 club were keen to get a deal over the line before the transfer window closed, but it now looks as though Jones will be staying put if there isn’t a new offer elsewhere by the time the window closes.
– AC Milan have fallen short in their bid to sign Renato Sanches. Gianluca Di Marzio writes that the Serie A club had agreed on a deal with Lille in the region of €25m, but it is reported that the 24-year-old midfielder’s demands were too high for the Rossoneri to get a deal done with the window soon to close.
– Newcastle United have emerged as frontrunners to land Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson, according to the Daily Mail. The 24-year-old has been looking to move on from Old Trafford with a desire to be first-choice, and it is reported that there is confidence that a deal can be reached to push through a move to St. James’ Park. Henderson is yet to make an appearance in the Premier League for the Red Devils this season.